Ashura is the 10th Day of Muharram, the first month of the Islamic calendar. Since the beginning of this world, Ashura has been a very important day. On this day great signs of Allah SWT's Power and Glory have appeared in the world. Here are some of the following -
- Prophet Adam (A.S.)'s Repentance was accepted.
- The first Baraan-e-Rehmat (Rain of Mercy) happened on earth.
- Prophet Nuh (A.S.)'s Ark reached land on the mountain called Al-Judi.
- Prophet Ibrahim (A.S.) was hurled into the fire, which became cool and safe upon Allah's Command.
- Allah gave Prophet Ibrahim (A.S.) the title of Khaleel-Ullah.
- Prophet Yaqub (A.S.) met his son Prophet Yousuf (A.S.) after 40 years.
- Prophet Ayub (A.S.) regained his health by the Grace of Allah SWT.
- Prophet Younus (A.S.) was released from the stomach of a fish after 40 days.
- Prophet Sulayman (A.S.) received his Kingdom and great dominion, rule over mankind, Jinn, animals and air.
- Prophet Musa (A.S.) and Bani Israel crossed the sea that Allah's split, giving them safety and defeating Pharaoh.
- Prophet Isa (A.S.) was raised alive into the skies.
- Imam Hussain (A.S.), the grandson of our Beloved Prophet Muhammad (S.A.W.) was martyred today after him and his family spent weeks of thirst and hunger.
- Hazrat Umar (R.A.) was martyred today on the Musalla of the Prophet (S.A.W.) while praying.
- The day of judgement will be 10th of Muharram - Ashura.
Things to do on Ashura Day
- Make Ghusl
- Apply Surma to the eyes
- Cut nails
- Visit the sick
- Give charity
- Offer Nafil Prayers
- Offer Salat-ut-Tasbeeh
- Be kind to the orphans and the needy
- Provide food generously to family
- Ask Allah for Forgiveness and Mercy
Fasting on the day of Ashura
When the Prophet S.A.W. arrived in Madina, the Jews in Madina used to fast on the day of Ashura since Musa (A.S.) had fasted to thank Allah for victory over Pharaoh, and hence Bani Israel had followed him in doing the same. It is then that the Prophet S.A.W. said, "We are closer to Musa than you are." and commanded that the fast of Ashura be observed for 2 days - the 9th of Muharram and 10th of Muharram.
"The best of fasts besides the month of Ramadan is the fasting of Allah's month of Muharram." (Muslim)
References - "Nuzhatul Majalis" - Sheikh Abdur Rahman Safoori